A Spotted Eagle Owl came to us from Sabi Sands Game Reserve, it was suspected of having secondary poisoning from eating poisoned rats and mice. The owls legs and wings were paralyzed as which is a sure sign of poisoning. Due to its state we had to start off by force feeding it as it was too weak to feed itself. Unfortunately one morning it was found dead by the clinic staff.
If the birds are not found quickly enough to receive treatment the end result will normally end in death and this is what happened here as Sabi is a long way from us. Time is of an essence in this situation.